A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Another reason for 99ers and progressives to vote.

I was driving home last night, listening to "Simon and Garfunkel" (yes, I am that old) and thinking about the future. Even though I have heard "The Boxer" often, the closing lyrics carried new meaning.

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders 
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains.

I am a 99er and a progressive.  As a progressive I am realistic about the state of things but, I want change, I want better.  Being a progressive leads to much disappointment because so many people are afraid of change. Often I want to give up advocating for how things should be. Then, I remember those that fought and continue to fight for equality (gender, race or marraige) and realize I can't stop. If past proponents of change had quit, we would not be analyzing the women's vote or the minority vote for the pending election. So I remain and advocate.

It is a bit more complicated being a 99er. I am tired of explaining why I still don't have a job. My wife reworks our budget every time we spend anything. It is very painful watching her. I just want it all to stop. However, it will only stop once I find a job (or two). So I keep fighting to find work, no matter how draining the process. 

I realize how aggravating and frustrating the past 22 months have been for progressives and 99ers. I realize this because I am also tired and angry of having to fight for every scintilla of change. Still I don't have the liberty of giving up, because if I give up the change I want will never occur. So  like Simon and Garfunkel's boxer, I remain.  Remaining means I must vote November 2, 2010 to continue to move the process of change forward. Just like "The Boxer" I must vote no matter how much I would prefer to give up. I will not quit. Will you quit or will you vote?

No comments:

Post a Comment