A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Join me on a journey.

I've been listening to Peter, Paul & Mary and the Weavers alot lately.  It's not my love of harmony because I've also been listening to Dylan. Times are turbulent. I'm looking for an anchor.  I love my family but thy're not my anchor. My family is my motor. Anyway, these lyrics struck me in a new way: 

Come gather ’round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You’ll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin’
Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin’

Frankly, times aren't a-changin' any more. Times have already changed. Unemployed are becoming 99ers every week.  The first 99ers are two months away from chartering the 200 club. There are 5 seekers for each job. The businesses bolstered by taxpayer $$ (that's $$ from you and me) are doing just fine these days. Record profits, record bonuses and hoarding record amounts of cash. These now healthy corporations aren't required  to add employees and equipment. Of course we weren't required to prop up these businesses, but that's another conversation for another day. Fact is they're not hiring and when they do, they rarely hire from the ranks of the unemployed or over 45 crowd.  Astonishment and anger are understandable responses but instead, I've joined a bunch of Hooligans.

This bunch of Hooligans isn't the smash and grab, steal Grandma's purse hooligans. These Hooligans look at the status quo askance, bending  old rules or writing new rules when necessary. These Hooligans may have been insiders once but now relish the role of outsider, regularly establishing new norms and always pushing the boundaries further.  These Hooligans are a tribe, led by Chieftain Sarah Robinson. I've been following her blog, "Escaping Mediocrity" for a bit and she's turned me into a Hooligan. Sarah is launching a month long series "28 Days to Getting Your Sh*t Together", Feb. 1. I've subscribed and I am inviting you to join me.

I am not being compensated to shill for the series. In true Hooligan fashion, I haven't asked permission to invite an entire group to subscribe. As a matter of fact, Sarah won't even know about this invitation until I post and send her the link (Hi Sarah, How ya doin'?). I'm doing this because I expect "28 days" to help me and I want to share whatever I can with others.  The only cost is the time it takes to register, read and react to the posts for "28 Days". There is no fear of failure. My "career elevator" is already in the parking garage, up is the only direction I can go.  I would like any 99er unafraid of rethinking their path to join me.

This is not a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" opportunity. It's insulting to suggest a 99er suck it up and get it together. Consider "28 Days" a "visualize everyone that's denied, dismissed or diminished you and kick those f***ers in the nuts" moment that lasts a whole month. It's been long enough, it's time to kick those f***ers in the nuts. Sign up and put on your steel toe boots. See you Feb. 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment