A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Today is November 3, 2010. Make it count.

Senate races in Colorado, Alaska and Washington are too close to call.  It is still too soon for analysis and too early to make predictions for 2012.  I remember November 4, 2008. Two years is a very long time.

The future for the unemployed however, looks uncertain.  No extensions are funded beyond November 30, 2010.  Anyone receiving benefits beyond 26 weeks will be cut off beginning in December.  The incoming Congress appears unfriendly and potentially hostile to the plight of the unemployed.  99ers and all unemployed must target the lame duck session of Congress (beginning Nov. 15, 2010) for any help. Grassroots lobbying on behalf of the 15 millions+ unemployed begins today.

UWAG has suggestions. I expect other unemployment writers, bloggers and advocacy groups will also have recommendations for action. I suggest calling/faxing the Whitehouse, Sen. Reid and Speaker Pelosi.  I would contact each of these three today, tomorrow and each day after until there are extended unemployment benefits beyond 99 weeks. Each day is precious, don't waste a single one.

Postscript: Donalee King wrote last night about the potential of violent protests. I don't disagree but I hope she is wrong. Violence doesn't solve anything and only delays reaching goals.

3 comments:

  1. I too pray that there is no violence. Americans should not have to force Washington to help it's poorest citizens. Today is Precious - you are so right!

    I agree with calling/faxing the Whitehouse, Sen. Reid and Speaker Pelosi and telling them WE do NOT want the Bush Tax cuts for the top 3% to continue - instead use that savings to fund UI NOW!!!!!! Tier 5 to Survive and extend UI for all NOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for specifically addressing violence, scares the hell out of me that truly angry, scared people might wind up being excuses for the thugs of Joe Miller, Rand Paul and Eric Cantor. Hopefully there will be a reason for cooler heads. On a personal note, thanks for fighting the fight, day after day. D, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must apologize. In composing a hasty reply while half-awake it appears as though I make the case that violence is tolerable in certain situations. Even when driven by the fear of lack of food and shelter (basic human needs) and the anger of being pushed aside to serve the uber-wealthy, there is always a better answer than violence. I do stand 100% behind my comments to Donalee.

    ReplyDelete