A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My family matters, so does yours.

I know why I should stay home on November 2, 2010.  The Democratic Party has grossly mismanaged a long list of priority agenda items. As a 99er, I am particularly furious about the quarterly Senate dance regarding funding extensions through 99 weeks. Since the fight becomes about funding current extensions the issue of funding beyond 99 weeks receives minimal attention.  Even when a Tier V is proposed as in S3706 it is nothing more than a band aid. Unemployment has been 9% or more since May, 2009 and is not projected to drop below 9% any time soon. A long term solution combining job creation along with a safety net is required and NO ONE is talking about that at all.  That's why I should stay home but on November 2, 2010  I am going to vote for every Democratic candidate on the ballot.

When citing their reason for not funding emergency extended unemployment benefits up to 99 weeks the moderate  Republicans spoke as one, "We cannot in good conscience add to the Federal Deficit and pass this burden onto our future generations." The mean spirited crazies said "We don't want to make the life of the unemployed too comfortable. They're going to have to suck it up and understand they may have to take a pay cut or relocate."

I am voting Democratic for the same reason  Republican deficit (chicken) hawks won't fund emergency unemployment extensions. I cannot pass on this burden to my future generations. "This burden" is the governance of the mean spirited crazies in the Republican party. A Republican Party too moderate for the 2000-2008 version that drove the US economy into the ditch and helped transform America from a country of shared vision to a country of "where's mine". Should the Republicans gain a majority of the House and/or Senate, success will be attributed to the "shit for brains" crowd of Palin, O'Donnell, Miller, Angle et al. It will take decades to undo the damage of George W. Bush, compassionate conservative. It would take centuries to undo the damage should the "Tea Party Trailer Troupe" gain control of government. And since no current Republican is willing to criticize the wingnuts, the wingnuts will be in charge if the Republicans win in November. Therefore I am voting for Democrats because my kids and (hopefully) grandkids deserve better. So I ask you act similarly and if you won't vote for the sake of your lineage, will you please vote on behalf of my future generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment