A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Organized to help ourselves.

I hadn't planned on posting today. It's Erev Yom Kippur (Yom Kippur, a 24 Hour complete fast begins at Sunset), I have an appointment in a few hours 75 miles away and it's garbage day. I found some good news in my email last night and feel compelled to share the news. Just maybe, yesterday's unjustified optimism is justified.

Cleaning out my email yesterday night 3 great independent sources shared a similar message.  Donalee King, Mike Thornton and UWAG all had the same theme: As of today we are all organized, in this together.

It was the lack of any organized effort that made me start this blog.  As I found other advocacy forums, I followed their lead because I believe we need to work together. In the name of total disclosure, I had absolutely nothing to do with this aggregation of force. None the less, I would not feel any prouder had I pulled this together myself.

Our task is clear. Unemployment beyond 26 weeks is not funded for anyone beyond Nov. 30, 2010. There is still nothing for anyone  beyond 99 weeks. Congress will be in session for 3 weeks beginning Monday and neither of these topics is on the calendar in either chamber. This is unacceptable and must be changed. So along with Ed Schultz, Norman Goldman and other progressive voices support the DC rally on 10/2/10. Whether or not you can attend the rally, get everyone you know involved with the call-in on Wednesday 9/22/10. Spread the word, provide the energy and create the buzz. Our moment has arrived, do not let it disappear.

I wish an easy fast and a Gmar Tov to those that these wishes apply. I wish us all success. Lives hang in the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment