A tribute to the 99ers: We are not invisible.

Friday, October 15, 2010

I'm a lucky 99er

Tomorrow morning my family and I are going to a Pancake Breakfast.  The cost is $5 per person and we really shouldn't be spending $20 for breakfast out. We're going because this breakfast is a fundraiser for my son's friend and schoolmate, Tam.  Tam has (among other things) a rare genetic disease, Senior Loken Syndrome. Tam's in sixth grade and all funds raised will be used to offset the cost of his kidney transplant next month. Tam's mother will be the donor. The transplant will take place at Children's Memorial Hospital, a fabulous children's hospital. Unfortunately, Children's Memorial has no facilities for adults so Tam's mom will be at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

To recap: A sixth grader, suffering from end stage kidney failure due to a rare genetic disease is having a life saving transplant next month. His mother, the donor must be at a hospital, approx 5 miles away.  If successful the follow-up is roughly 2 years.  The family lives 80 miles from Chicago, none of the travel costs are covered by insurance.

I have been out of work for 25+ months, but right now I feel extremely fortunate.  Please join me in sending warm wishes and prayers to Tam and his family.  Updates will follow when available.

No comments:

Post a Comment